Happy New Year! 2013 promises to be another great year for foodies and foodie wanna-be’s. The International Fancy Food Show is next week and I thought you’d enjoy a sneak peek at this year’s buzz and how it translates into your home entertaining lifestyle.
2013 Food Trends:
1. A combination of Sweet and Savory flavors are the top specialty food trend. The Ricotta Cheesecake with Blackberry Rosemary sauce pictured above and Strawberries drizzled with Balsamic Vinegar are great examples – yum!
2. Popcorn – Did you know that the average American consumes 52 quarts of popcorn a year? Many restaurants are now serving flavored popcorn as a starter! You’ll begin seeing bolder, sweet and savory flavors in the market – everything from peppermint to truffle flavored corn and liquor flavors. Check out 479 degree Popcorn – it’s fantastic!
3. Sweet & Sour combinations remain strong with many chefs as they can add their personal touch by pickling local ingredients that can be served all year long.
4. Ethnic Cuisine is a big factor in the food scene. The new ABC’s: Argentina, Brazil & Chile. Asado’s (Argentinian BBQ), Borgona (Chilean beverage of chilled red wine & strawberries), Chimchurri (Argentine salsa Verde), Aflajores (dulce de leche cookies), and Brigateiros (Brazilian chocolate & condensed milk candy) – can’t wait to learn more about these!
5. Veggies are staring as the main dish. Watch for recipes with bolder flavors, and locally grown is here to stay. Epicurious predicts that cauliflower will overtake Kale in 2013.
6. Cocktail pairings remain strong. Watch for restaurant menus to include cocktail choices in addition to wine with your entree.
7. New Mex – This ethnic category is being elevated to the sophisticated side of Mexican cuisine. I’m excited to watch this trend develop and will be sharing some fantastic recipes soon!
8. Eggs have been deemed the “ingredient of the year” by Gourmet Business Magazine. Yippee – my favorite ingredient!
2013 Entertaining Trends:
1. Home entertaining, casual gatherings, soirees, however you describe inviting friends and family over to share food & beverages remains a strong
trend for 2013.
2. Game Night Gatherings are one of the top “themes” this year. Watch for some too fun menus & recipes in the coming weeks!
3. Social Kitchen experiences is topping the trend in home entertaining. We’ve finally figured out that we don’t have to do all the cooking ourselves,
let alone have everything ready when are family & friends arrive! Everyone wants to help so take them up on their offer – invite your guests in the preparation of chopping veggies, assembling the cheese platter or making the cocktails. They’ll think “It’s Too Fun! ”
4. “Wow” presentations – thanks to fine dining experiences as well as shows on the Food Network and Food Channel, presentation is finally on par with food. This trend makes so much sense to me. After all, we eat with our eyes first! So, the next time you bring home take-out food, wow your family by “plating” it on your dishes!
4. Using sustainable tabletop accessories that mix with your everyday dishes or used as stand alone pieces for easy entertaining. Some of the must-have’s are: Trays, slate cheeseboards, recycled wire baskets, wicker baskets, large serving platters, wine glasses, and chargers.
Check out our on-line shopping collection- you’ll find lots of things to look at. Everything from books and journals, signature spices, specialty items and of course, our own personal favorite items for home entertaining. http://unleashyourinnerfoodie.com/products/
5. Celebrating the everyday moments as well as the special events. We’re no longer waiting for that “special” occasion to invite people over. People are creating entertaining lifestyles that fit their personality and family lifestyle to create memorable experiences.
In upcoming messages, I’ll share more trends, product reviews, and everyday entertaining ideas to help you incorporate the new, hottest specialty food products into your world – too fun!