It seems the term “foodie” has settled into a more universal designation of someone who loves food—not a food snob. That describes a lot of my friends and family who up until know would not categorized themselves as foodies. Yippee!
To help you Unleash Your Inner Foodie, here are the top 5 trends in Food & Entertaining for 2010. Stop back soon to see how Unleash Your Inner Foodie is incorporating some of these trends!
Food & Entertaining Trends for 2010
1. Keeping it Real with unpretentious entertaining that focuses on great food and great entertaining!
- The trend is toward concentrating on quality, basic ingredients and building a menu from there.
- Embracing what is essential to your life and stocking your pantry accordingly.
- It’s a shift from convenience foods to scratch cooking.
2. Focusing on American Ethnic by taking your old family recipes and applying your cooking knowledge and available spices to make them “original” all over again.
- Food network and Epicurious see a trend in pairing things differently, too—a little from this country, a little from that, and voila you have a new flavor and texture combination that is distinctly American. It’s a great time to learn more about spices!
3. Buying “locally grown produce, meats and seafood with a focus on sustainability.
- According to Epicurious, we’ll still buy some things in bulk to save money, but we’ll also be willing to supplement our practicality with fresh, wholesome ingredients that we pick up on the way home. Grocery shopping, in other words, is less of a chore and more of a way to provide personalization, fresh ingredients, and create less waste in the long run.
4. Potlucks are replacing the formal, multi-course dinners. In fact, Epicurious has named the potluck as it’s key entertaining trend for 2010.
- It’s a more low-key, casual and communal way to have a party. Not to mention that it’s a money saver; takes the pressure off the host; and it enables people to show off their culinary skills’!
- Potlucks can be structured in several ways. The host can select the menu and provide recipes for each guest to bring or provide the main entrée and ask your guests to bring their favorite appetizer, side dish, dessert, and bottle of wine that would compliment the entrée.
5. In-home Tasting Parties is a new and fun trend in home entertaining. It’s a novel way to “deep taste” and savor food in a structured fashion to get acquainted with or refine your palate.
- Tasting Parties ideas range from Wine to Chocolate, Oils to Vinegars and Spices or different types of Bruchetta’s.
- It becomes an entertaining and educational event with no cooking involved, and clean-up is minimal!
I hope one of these trends will help you Unleash Your Inner Foodie. Maybe it’s refining your grandmama’s macaroni and cheese recipes, or learning how to cook with different spices, or maybe its organizing a Potluck! Be sure to stop back and see how Unleash Your Inner Foodie is incorporating these trends.