In honor of National Grilled Cheese Day I’m making Tyler Florence’s Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich. It’s amazing and probably the best grilled cheese sandwich I’ve ever had!
The recipe is in his Stirring the Pot cookbook. Here’s my version of the recipe:
4 slices multi-grain bread
4 thick cut slices of smoked mozzarella
Basil Pesto, purchased
Fresh Basil leaves
2 Tblsp. Unsalted butter
Freshly ground black pepper
1 garlic clove, peeled
1. Assemble sandwiches by smearing one side of each bread slice with basil pesto.
2. Layer the mozzarella slices over the pesto on half of the bread slices. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
3. Place two – three leaves of fresh basil on top.
4. Place the remaining bread slices, pesto side down, over the cheese to make the sandwiches
5. In a large saute pan (or use a Panini machine) melt butter over medium heat. Add sandwiches and cook 2-3 minutes per side, until golden brown. remove from pan and rub toasted bread with the garlic clove.